Minister Shaw outlines measures to curb illegal fishing
MIIC Author
Minister of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, the Hon Audley Shaw, today (March12, 2019) outlined several measures to curb illegal fishing in Jamaican waters at a media briefing on the conch industry at his Hope Gardens offices.
Outlining the reason for the extended March 1 2019 to January 31 2020 close season for the conch fishery, Minister Shaw said this was necessary because of the current depletion of Jamaica’s valuable queen conch stocks.
“The depletion of the conch fishery has resulted from several factors [and} we are certain that illegal fishing is a major cause, “the Minister said.
He added that the complex problem of illegal, unregulated and unreported (IUU) fishing could not be solved at the local level alone, but required a comprehensive, multipronged strategy at the local, bilateral, regional and international levels.
With reference to foreign poachers in Jamaica’s fishing territory, Minister Shaw sounded the stern warning: “Stay out of Jamaican waters!” a message he intends to deliver at the Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism Council of Ministers Meeting to be held in May in St Kitts.
Over the last nine years, from January 2011 to March 2019, 10 foreign fishing vessels were caught fishing illegally in Jamaican waters, an arrest rate which, anecdotally, reflects only 14% of the foreign IUU vessels operating in our waters.
These vessels, Minister Shaw reported, had a total of 103,673 lbs. of different species of fishery, including queen conch, spiny lobster, sea cucumber, sharks, crabs, octopus and fin fish, with an estimated value of US$807,617.
Last week, the coast guard apprehended two illegal vessels from the Dominican Republic with queen conch, spiny lobster, crabs, fin fish and octopus.
PLEASE SEE THE FULL TEXT OF MINISTER SHAW’S SPEECH:
http://www.micaf.gov.jm/sites/default/files/pdfs/Minister%20Shaw%20-%20Final%20Speech%20Notes%20Media%20Briefing%20re%20Conch%20Industry.pdf
-30-
Recent News
See all news
Posted on 26/11/2025
Minister of State Delano Seiveright says the Government is moving decisively to address the needs of micro and small businesses severely impacted by Hurricane Melissa.
He noted that Prime Minister Andrew Holness and Minister of Industry, Investment and Commerce (MIIC), Senator Aubyn Hill, have already issued directives and convened meetings to craft immediate strategies that will help small enterprises resume op...
Posted on 26/11/2025
Port Authority, BPO sector show resilience after hurricane
The Port Authority of Jamaica and the Global Services Association of Jamaica (GSAJ), representing the business process outsourcing (BPO) sector, have been lauded for their rapid recovery efforts and resilience following the recent passage of Hurri...
Posted on 25/11/2025
Seiveright ready for new challenge at ‘super ministry’
KINGSTON, Jamaica — Newly minted Member of Parliament (MP) for St Andrew North Central, Delano Seiveright, has welcomed the decision of Prime Minister Dr Andrew Holness to appoint him minister of state in the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Inv...

