Sugar workers transitioning to farming to benefit from 2,400 tonnes of fertilizers from Morocco
MIIC Author
Residents of Lionel Town and surrounding areas of Clarendon, who were previously employed to the closed Monymusk Sugar Factory and intend to pursue farming on acreages of former sugar lands, are to benefit from input materials such as seeds and fertilisers.
The fertiliser is to be sourced from some 2,400 tonnes being provided by the Kingdom of Morocco to the Government’s Production Incentive Programme.
State Minister in the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. Floyd Green, confirmed that 48 containers of fertilisers were received from the North African nation as a gift to the people of Jamaica.
“I really want to take the time to thank the Kingdom of Morocco for the fertilizers to support the Government’s Production Incentive Programme. They have supported the programme, which targets priority crops such as onions and potatoes and others we have identified in treating with import substitution,” he said.
Mr. Green was speaking at a job fair organised by the HEART Trust/NTA in collaboration with the Ministry, the National Irrigation Commission (NIC), and, the Rural Agricultural Development Authority (RADA), at Pawsey Park in Lionel Town on November 29.
The job fair sought to target displaced sugar workers, their families, and community members from the Monymusk area and is a planned strategy by the Government to provide assistance to the displaced sugar workers.
Mr. Green also informed that under a $45million Alternative Livelihood Programme, provisions are being made for interested factory workers to receive training in the areas of entrepreneurship, cottage industry development and agri-business.
Meanwhile, Mr. Green indicated that the Government is examining a total of seven expressions of interest for the operations at the Monymusk factory.
He also pointed to an expression of interest for the management of the Golden Grove Sugar Factory in St. Thomas.
“Clearly, the evaluations (of these factories) have to be conducted with significant rigour and due diligence because we have to ensure we involve the current owners to whom the factories were divested. So we are currently undertaking that process,” he said.
Recent News
See all news
Posted on 26/11/2025
Minister of State Delano Seiveright says the Government is moving decisively to address the needs of micro and small businesses severely impacted by Hurricane Melissa.
He noted that Prime Minister Andrew Holness and Minister of Industry, Investment and Commerce (MIIC), Senator Aubyn Hill, have already issued directives and convened meetings to craft immediate strategies that will help small enterprises resume op...
Posted on 26/11/2025
Port Authority, BPO sector show resilience after hurricane
The Port Authority of Jamaica and the Global Services Association of Jamaica (GSAJ), representing the business process outsourcing (BPO) sector, have been lauded for their rapid recovery efforts and resilience following the recent passage of Hurri...
Posted on 25/11/2025
Seiveright ready for new challenge at ‘super ministry’
KINGSTON, Jamaica — Newly minted Member of Parliament (MP) for St Andrew North Central, Delano Seiveright, has welcomed the decision of Prime Minister Dr Andrew Holness to appoint him minister of state in the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Inv...

